The taps and locally roasted coffee get all the praise, but members of The Haven Coworking have access to so many lesser-known perks. The view of the river from The Refuge is gorgeous, but have you seen it from the deck? And as the temperatures drop and leaves begin to fall, did you know that coffee isn’t the only hot beverage in the Cafe? Whether you’re a new or seasoned member of the coworking space, here are five membership perks to spice up the fall season.
1. Upgrade your morning coffee
If you did the “coffee shop shuffle” before joining The Haven, you might be missing your favorite latté. Enter the milk frother in our Café. It’s the stainless-steel appliance near the coffee maker and it can turn a simple cup of coffee or tea into a delectable beverage that resembles those in the coffee shops.
How-to: Don’t be intimidated by the instructions for using the milk frother, which are posted on the wall behind the appliance. You’ll be a milk frothing pro after your first use.
Here are a few drink ideas to get you started.
- One part steamed milk or milk alternative to one part Metolius Chai concentrate. Bonus: Metolius is made locally.
- The milk frother comes with two attachments, one for lattes and one for cappuccinos. Use the latte attachment for a thinner layer of foam and the cappuccino attachment to pile it high.
- When you think of hygge—the Danish term associated with cozy vibes—you might think of a London fog. Recipes vary, but it’s essentially Earl Grey tea with steamed milk or cream and a sweetener such as vanilla or simple syrup.
- This recipe calls for brewing a cup of earl grey tea with a pinch of lavender. Then adding steamed milk and a dash of vanilla. Cozy in a cup
- You can find a variety of tea bags and packets of hot chocolate mix in the drawer under the milk frother.
- Measure out your desired amount of milk or milk alternative into a mug and pour it into the milk frother. Empty your packet of hot chocolate mix into your mug and stir in your foamed milk. Top with cinnamon and enjoy.
Are you new to town and looking to explore the neighborhood? Reserve one or both of The Haven’s e-bikes through the Haven app or member portal! You and a friend can bike along the Deschutes River trail from The Haven to Old Mill District and Miller’s Landing. After checking out the surfers, take Riverfront St to Galveston Ave. Turn left to visit Boss Rambler, El Sancho Taco Shop West or The Lot; turn right to see beautiful Drake Park and tour downtown Bend.
How-to: In the Haven Coworking app, select Bookings > Equipment and you’ll see the electric bike option. At the top, select your desired date, start time, and duration. If you want to use both bikes, make sure you make the same reservation a second time. Before your reservation, get with a staff member at the front desk to sign a release form and get a quick tutorial on the bikes. Don’t forget your helmets!
3. Patio vibes
Summer may be over but patio weather isn’t. Here are just a few ways to spend warm afternoons on The Haven’s deck:
- Soak up some vitamin D while holding an in-person or virtual meeting.
- Grab your lunch and take it downstairs, your brain will thank you.
- Have friends or family members visiting? Bring them to The Haven before the taps close to enjoy a cold one outside. Free drinks, killer views, no crowds. To check in your guests, go to The Haven app, click on Bookings > Visitors and select the date and time.
- Outdoor yoga is the best yoga. We’ve told you that practicing yoga can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression but did you know The Haven has yoga mats and blocks for use? Grab a mat from the closet across from the lockers and a yoga block from the downstairs cabinet near the deck entrance. Namaste.
4. Boardrooms for virtual and in-person gatherings
If the Chat Rooms and Idea Labs are booked, you can book a phone booth; but don’t forget about the Hinterland Boardroom and Perch Conference Room. They’re great for virtual or in-person meetings and temporary office spaces, and they both offer beautiful river views, whiteboards and TVs for video conferencing. There’s even been a few virtual dance parties with Soul in Motion in Hinterland. Most of our memberships include meeting room credits, which can be used to reserve these private rooms. Not something you’ll find at your home office!
How-to: Each space seats up to 14 people and can be booked on The Haven app. Tap on Bookings > Room and select your desired start time and duration. Your reservation confirmation email will include a wifi password that in-person guests can use during the meeting. And of course, your guests can stop by the Cafe for free drinks when they arrive.
5. Books in The Library
With its colder, shorter days, fall is prime reading season. Have you perused the book collection in The Library? You’ll find books on personal development, business, religion, interior design, human rights issues and more.
How-to: No library card needed to check out a book, just let the staff at the front desk know which book you want to dive into. After you’ve chosen a book, I suggest making a London fog and curling up in one of the lounge chairs in The Refuge. Sit and stay awhile. Autumn is here.
“See it, smell it, taste it, and forget the time of day or year. Autumn needs no clock or calendar.” -Hal Borland
• • • • •
If you’re new to coworking or searching for a coworking space in Bend, Oregon, try our $95 first month special for residents of Central Oregon. If you enjoy your co-working experience, continue on with a part-time or full-time flex membership or upgrade to a dedicated desk. Ask us about waitlists for our private offices.